The original Bauhaus Art School in Dessau, Germany
Bauhaus was an art school in Dessau, Germany, during the rise of Hitler and the Weimar Republic. The Nazi’s were intent on destroying both the Republic and also the influential art movement known as the Bauhaus Movement of Art and Design. They particularly linked the Bauhaus movement to communism as many members of the school had Russian connections. It lasted just a short while from 1925 until 1932 under the direction of its founder, an architect, Walter Gropius until it was closed down by the Nazis. Essentially the movement was a modernistic look at both architecture and also design in all its forms. The movement put forward the idea of artists and designers working together to produce both functional and beautiful things. This forewent the idea of the original pupil to teacher method of instruction in different disciplines.
The Fagus Factory in Alfeld, Lower Saxony, Germany
This was a shoe last factory designed and built between 1911 and 1925.
Many avant-garde artist and designers came from this idealistic background and were influential around the world in a new thinking of art and design, particularly in architecture. A magnet for experimental work, this movement was a draw and modern industrial design is a direct result of the looks and thoughts resulting from Bauhaus teachings. They formulated the idea that ‘design is everything’ be it in houses, homes, buildings and also their contents. They felt that all must be designed with simplification as its foremost attribute. This idea still stands today with many modernist designers using the philosophy set out originally by Walter Gropius and Bauhaus.
In more recent days the great designer Terence Conran has absorbed the Bauhaus belief that “good design should be available to the whole community”, and this philosophy is evident in all his amazing designs.